COVID Legal Fellow Position
Legal Aid of Western Michigan
Muskegon, MI 49440
Housing Law focusing on Eviction Prevention and Defense
Years of Experience:
Spanish Language Proficiency Highly Valued
Application deadline: February 24, 2021
Position: Legal Aid of Western Michigan (LAWM) has a position open for a COVID Legal Fellow at its Muskegon location. Fellowships last approximately 6 to 12 months depending upon funding. The Fellow will work primarily on housing law cases focusing on eviction prevention and eviction defense, to assist in meeting the increased need for housing advocates caused by the current pandemic.
Organization: LAWM represents low-income and senior clients in a wide variety of poverty law areas including domestic violence, housing, public benefits, and consumer issues. LAWM is a regional law firm that covers 17 counties.
Qualifications: The ideal candidates will possess:
- A license to practice law in Michigan or be eligible to be admitted by waiver, or to sit for the next bar exam;
- Demonstrated commitment to provide access to justice for low-income individuals and households; and
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Spanish Language proficiency is highly valued.
- Manage a litigation caseload;
- Successfully manage multiple tasks; and• Build collaborative relationships within the community.
Salary/Benefits: From $49,321 DOE. This position includes a $1,200 annual stipend for an individual who is bilingual and biliterate in English and Spanish. LAWM offers an excellent fringe benefit package including a retirement plan and a flex benefit account.
LAWM IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
TO APPLY, please submit your resume and cover letter to Executive Assistant, Julia Smith, at email@example.com or apply online at https://lawestmi.org/careers/