Assistant Public Defender Position
Eaton County Public Defender’s Office
Charlotte, MI 48813
Assistant Public Defender
Years of Experience:
Application via Online Portal at Eaton County Website
Under the supervision of the Public Defender and Chief Assistant Public Defender, provides legal representation for defendants without means to retain legal counsel, after being charged with criminal or civil violations in the District and Circuit courts.
Education: Juris Doctorate Degree from an accredited law school.
Experience: One or more years of experience practicing law is preferred. Trial work and exposure to criminal law is strongly preferred.
• Licensed to practice in the State of Michigan required; if not licensed, eligibility to become licensed in due course as a condition of employment.
• Possess a valid Michigan vehicle operator’s license and an acceptable driving record.
• Membership in good standing with the State Bar Association of Michigan.
• Strong interpersonal skills necessary to work with a diverse group of county personnel and citizens.
• Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing, including reading and interpreting documents, preparing reports and correspondence, and present information and respond to questions.
• Ability to become a Public Notary is desired. See web posting for Essential Functions and more information.
The qualifications listed above are intended to represent the minimum skills and experience levels associated with performing the duties and responsibilities contained in this job description. The qualifications should not be viewed as expressing absolute employment or promotional standards, but as general guidelines that should be considered along with other job related selection or promotional criteria.