Law Clerk for Hon. Brock Swartzle
Jennifer Altemeier, Administrative Assistant, Human Resources
Michigan Court of Appeals
Lansing, MI 48915
Michigan Court of Appeals, Office of The Hon. Brock A. Swartzle
Years of Experience:
One year of appellate practice experience preferred.
Juris Doctor (JD) from an accredited law school.
The Michigan Court of Appeals is currently seeking qualified applicants for the position of Law Clerk to Judge Brock A. Swartzle. The position reports directly to the Judge.
Education: Juris Doctorate Degree from an accredited law school.
Experience: One or more years of experience practicing law is preferred.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Assist in drafting opinions, orders, and memoranda on motion docket and case call appeals. Read appellate briefs and Research Division reports and review lower court records, as necessary, in cases assigned to case calls and motion dockets.
- Provide advice to the Judge on problem areas, complex legal issues, recommended outcomes for individual issues, and disposition of appeals. Conduct electronic research on the Court’s database, online and print research, and off-site library research, as necessary.
- Review, analyze, proof, cite check, and, as necessary, revise or rewrite proposed opinions received from the Research Division, including senior research, before release. Verify accuracy of quotations and citations used in opinions.
- Review editorial suggestions and proposed syllabi and headnotes from the Reporter of Decisions for published opinions. Modify opinions, syllabi, and headnotes, as necessary, to conform to judicially approved editorial revisions for transmission back to the Reporter of Decisions.
- Review and stay apprised of recent published decisions of the Michigan Court of Appeals, Michigan Supreme Court, and United States Supreme Court and of revisions to statutes and court rules.
- Assure compliance and consistency of opinions with the Michigan Supreme Court Opinion Manual.
TO APPLY: Please send your cover letter, resume, law school transcript, and writing sample in Microsoft Word or Adobe Acrobat to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Judge Swartzle Law Clerk” in the subject line. If you are unable to send applicant materials electronically, please contact Judicial Human Resources (517) 373-1147.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: September 10, 2021