Corporate Attorney Wanted
McLaren Health Care Corporation
One McLaren Parkway, Grand Blanc, MI 48439
Medical Malpractice Attorney
Years of Experience:
Juris Doctor (JD) Degree
Provides a wide array of legal services required to protect MHC interests in Professional and General Liability Matters. Researches and interprets assigned legal issues, assesses impact on Professional and General Liability Matters, and evaluates available legal resources. Drafts and/or reviews impact of legal documents and provides written and oral opinions outlining legal exposure and risks. Negotiates settlements of Professional and General Liability Matters. Determines need and timing of outside counsel engagement.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Researches and interprets medical/legal issues impacting Professional and General Liability claims. Confers with senior management and, utilizing available resources and professional knowledge, prepares opinions, and position papers substantiating Hospital position.
- In cooperation with outside legal counsel and Senior Legal Counsel, develops trial and litigation strategies.
- Defends, monitors and/or coordinates assigned legal proceedings. In doing so, engages in the following activities:
- Coordinates activities of outside legal counsel representing MHC interests as assigned
- Early Resolution of Claims, when appropriate
- Represents MHC interests at assigned legal proceedings
- Monitors and documents progress of legal proceedings in Claims Database
- Works closely with Legal Nurse Consultant in developing early strategy during Notice of Intent Period
- Drafts and reviews settlement documents.
- Summarizes medical records, identifying key opportunities and preparing executive summaries.
- Respond to subpoenas, and prepare for and respond to licensing investigations.
- Advises management of legal exposure and risks and recommends action to be taken.
- Regularly obtains and exchanges detailed information with management as well as outside legal counsel and government agencies regarding legal implications of Professional and General Liability Claims.
- Responds to inquiries from management regarding issues requiring legal determination and provides written and oral legal opinions pertaining to legal questions.
- Juris doctor (JD) degree
- Four years of healthcare or legal work-related experience plus a three-years medical malpractice defense.
- Licensure required as an Attorney by the State of Michigan.