Open until filled.
Ingham County of Ingham, Michigan
Veterans Memorial Courthouse 313 W. Kalamazoo St. Lansing MI 48933
Years of Experience:
Legal experience in court or law firm preferred
Must be a graduate of an accredited school of law
Law Clerk – Circuit/Probate Court
Apply on-line at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/ingham
Required Documents: Application, Resume, Cover Letter, Law Transcripts and Writing Sample
Under general supervision of the Circuit Court Judge, researches the law and prepares court opinions, orders, and bench memoranda for the Circuit Court. Also acts as special deputies to the Sheriff’s Department providing courtroom security. Duties include guarding and escorting those in custody to, from and during court appearances. The Court Officer/Research Clerk performs numerous other administrative and jury management tasks.
- Legal Research and Writing: Analyze pleadings, research issues, draft opinions, orders, and bench memoranda regarding motions, bench trials, and administrative and lower court appeals for the Ingham County Circuit Court, and appeals from decisions of the State of Michigan Administrative Agencies.
- Courtroom Security: Escort prisoners to and from courtroom and remain with prisoner at all times that an incarcerated individual is present in the courtroom. Provide security for Judge, staff, jury and general public. Duties entail effectuating arrests pursuant to specific arrest powers and CO2/pepper spray. Also conducts courtroom preparation and security checks.
- Miscellaneous: Observe courtroom proceedings necessary for preparation of opinions; correspondence with attorneys or litigants on file maintenance and case management; assist general public with submission of various pleadings including Personal Protection Orders; review of current law and changes thereto; maintain a record of all matters under advisement; maintain and update Opinion bank; preparing, organizing and reviewing daily files for Court proceedings, including reviewing pleadings, determining when to contact attorneys when there are problems; maintain and update law library (including electronic media law library); perform Judicial Assistant duties when necessary; and, assist other courts during the law clerk’s absence.
- Jury Management: Duties include preparation of jury room; maintaining jury security; escorting jury to and from courtroom and to lunch when necessary; as well as preserving the integrity of jury deliberation.
- May perform other duties as assigned by the judge.